In 16+ years, I've built and led teams, shipped product at scale, and helped organizations rediscover how to work together.
I'm a systems thinker that takes pride in bringing world-class consumer grade user experiences to business tools and products that tread new territory or reimagine tired and inadequate norms.
Working at the micro and macro level, I balance short term tactical work with long term strategic exploration and vision definition, while contributing to organizational design and various horizontal systems across the company. I'm flexible and can work lean and iteratively to meet an aggressive deadline, and run long-term strategic design efforts through workshops and iterative phases of the project life cycle.
I bring design operations tools and playbooks to teams and organizations, providing organization and structure to work, resulting in trust, stronger relationships amongst teams, and shipping better solutions to customers. I've contributed to improving candidate sourcing and hiring processes to be more simple, human, and inclusive; have contributed to inclusive cultural events through creating and empowering internal communities; have contributed to improving peer feedback and review policies, tools, and practices resulting in increased retention and employee satisfaction while decreasing regrettable attrition; and have initiated and ran internship programs, student outreach programs, and internal mentorship programs.
I have designed and contributed to design systems, and large scale framework design, at enterprise companies and startups—including improvements to tooling and aligning workflows and technologies between design and engineering; and have designed platforms, app stores and end-to-end enterprise, business, and consumer applications for Mac OS, native mobile platforms, responsive web, and web SaaS.
- Improved how individuals and organizations understand their audiences at Google Analytics
- Explored how to guide a new generation of consumer to build better money habits at Varo Money
- Explored the future of Amazon Web Services products with Adam Bosworth (Gmail, Google Docs, Blogger, Google Health, Microsoft Access, Microsoft XML)
- Empowered businesses to cultivate meaningful relationships on the Measurement team at Facebook
- Reimagined, discovered, and defined the connected car experience at Automatic
- Made customer service beautifully simple at Zendesk
- Made every meeting matter at MeetingHero (rebranded as Worklife, acquired by Cisco 2016 and is now Cisco Spark Meeting Notes)
- Made enterprise software social and human at Salesforce via the Chatter, Community, Sales, Support, Platform, and Systems teams
- Explored how to connect workflows through different digital tools by designing v1 of Zapier
- Defined VeteransUnited's voice through a new visual identity, print and web design systems, and digital products to better connect US military families and secure their home life
- and much more like working at agencies, being a freelance conversion optimization specialist and digital marketing strategist, cofounder of regional media companies, working at regional publications, radio show co-host, and gig musician.
👉 View select projects 2014–2015
Outside of the office, you'll find me advising and consulting startups and companies on design thinking, product strategy, and discipline in process and decision making. If I'm not working, I'm probably learning new design-nerdy things, cooking, playing music, or exploring California with my lovely wife and daughters.